JOB OPENING: Master Electrician
Review of applications to start immediately
The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, invites applications for the position of Master Electrician. The full-time twelve-month position is to be filled immediately.
EMPAC offers advanced facilities and resources for media and the arts in production, performance and research. The program ranges from initializing new artistic productions through commissions and extended residencies to supporting science and engineering in the creation of immersive and interactive environments.
The Master Electrician will be responsible for all production lighting aspects of performance venues in avant-garde and traditional artistic productions.
- Associate’s Degree with 5 years of experience in theatre lighting in a high level production environment.
- Experience with managing crews and lighting equipment for a wide range of production methods.
- Experience with managing crews and stage equipment for a wide range of production types is essential.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with lighting controls and wiring, dimmers, rigging and automated lighting fixtures.
- BA/BFA in Theater with emphasis on production technology (Technical/Electrical, Theatrical Design, or related Performance Arts) plus 2 years experience in theater lighting in a high level production environment.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Applicant must be motivated and capable to work under the conditions of a high pressure environment for fast paced productions in a four venue performing arts center with avant-garde programming.
- Must be a self-motivated, able to organize production time lines and teams to effectively support a wide range of lighting designs while delivering consistent quality in the production schedule.
- Requires substantial expertise and knowledge with lighting equipment, electrical, automated lighting fixtures, computer control system and facility lighting systems.
- Is versed in lighting aspects of design, peripherals (foggers, hazers, etc) and preferably experience with show-control.
- Knowledge and experience with lighting production, lighting maintenance and electric shop operations.
The Master Electrician will be responsible for all production lighting aspects of performance venues in avant-garde and traditional artistic productions. Incumbent will perform a full range of duties pertaining to performance lighting infrastructure in all venues and spaces of EMPAC and will assist in the ongoing research of performance technologies and media applications.
EMPAC is a non-union operation in order to meet its highly interdisciplinary mission to bridge technology and the arts on all levels of production and research. Rensselaer offers a full benefits package, and competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.