JOB OPENING: Manager, Marketing and Communications
The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, invites applications for the position of Manager, Marketing and Communications. EMPAC offers advanced facilities and resources for media and the arts in production, performance, and research. The program ranges from initializing new artistic productions through commissions and extended residencies to supporting science and engineering in the creation of immersive and interactive environments.
The Manager, Communications and Marketing is responsible for development and implementation of a comprehensive marketing, media and communications plan that assists EMPAC in promoting its specific mission, programs and activities within the Institute, in the Capital Region, nationally and internationally. The Manager collaborates closely with campus and external partners to position EMPAC as a national and international leader in the fields of experimental media and time-based arts. http://rpijobs.rpi.edu/postings/8307
- Bachelor’s degree required in a communications discipline (marketing, public relations, journalism, etc.) or artistic or performing arts field
- Five (5) year’s relevant experience in journalism, marketing or media relations, preferably for the arts
- Demonstrated experience in writing and editing
- Supervisory experience
- Master’s degree in related field
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- The ability to work with technical information, performing arts management, arts marketing and/or arts educational subject matter and to translate this information into a product salable to non-technical internal and external constituents.
- Writing experience on the national and international spectrum.
- An understanding of and interest in contemporary and experimental time-based arts (theater, dance, music, installations and video production, etc.).
- An understanding of media technology and technology research in the arts.
- An understanding of performing arts productions and artist residencies.
- Leadership ability to motivate internal and external team members
- The ability to design messages to communicate complex ideas to a wide variety of audiences.
- The ability to develop strategies for the marketing and publicizing of arts programming.
- The ability to navigate a complex organizational structure.
- Excellent organizational skills and an ability to develop and work from a plan.
- A commitment to higher education and ability to work with a diverse population.
OTHER POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Work is performed in normal office environments. Outdoor travel between campus locations is required. Local travel as well as overnight travel to other locations may be necessary. Work presents in stressful situations and tight deadlines. Work is sometimes performed after hours for events and preparation.
Samples of your past work will be necessary. Rensselaer offers a full benefits package, and competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates must apply online at https://rpijobs.rpi.edu/.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is the nation’s oldest technological university. RPI offers degrees from five schools: Engineering; Science; Architecture; Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences; and the Lally School of Management & Technology. For almost two centuries, Rensselaer has maintained a reputation for providing an education of undisputed intellectual rigor based on educational innovation in the laboratory, classroom, and studio. The Institute’s programs serve undergraduates, graduate students, and working professionals around the world. The Institute’s long-standing reputation drew students from 39 states in addition to Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico, and 13 foreign countries in the fall of 2009. Rensselaer offers more than 145 programs at the bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels. Students are encouraged to work in interdisciplinary programs which allow them to combine scholarly work from several departments or schools. The university provides rigorous, engaging, interactive learning environments and campus-wide opportunities for leadership, collaboration, and creativity.
We welcome candidates who will bring diverse intellectual, geographical, gender and ethnic perspectives to Rensselaer’s work and campus communities.