JOB OPENING: Master Electrician / Lighting Supervisor
EMPAC, The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, invites applications for the position of Master Electrician/Lighting Supervisor. The full-time twelve-month position is to be filled immediately.
EMPAC is situated at the intersection of digital technology and human perception. It enables audiences, artists, and researchers to inquire, experiment, develop, and experience the ever-changing relationship between our senses, technology, and the worlds we create around us. EMPAC’s program provides a breadth of experiences from theatrical productions, concerts, audio and video installations to a rigorous interdisciplinary program of films, talks, and workshops.
Both a performing arts center and a research and production facility, EMPAC provides an environment that supports the realization of complex artworks and research projects at any stage of development. Activities in EMPAC range from artist-in-residence projects to high-level university events and a wide range of campus presentations.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Master Electrician/Lighting Supervisor is engaged in avant-garde artistic development and productions reaching beyond traditional aesthetics and will be responsible for lighting aspects in four performance venues. The position will collaborate with artists, researchers, and other production departments to realize project specific lighting needs while maintaining a lighting budget and resource scheduling. The position will supervise and train lighting staff and students in the installation, operation, and maintenance of a multivenue ETC lighting network, a large inventory of conventional, automated and LED fixtures, and additional support equipment.
- Ideal candidates will have:
- Lighting experience with live productions in facilities with multiple venues, including theatrical performances, art installations, performance art, concerts, and special events.
- Extensive knowledge in the operation of ETC Eos/Ion consoles.
- Knowledge in the operation and repair of electronics, moving lights, LED fixtures, foggers, wireless dimming, and other associated lighting equipment.
- Experience with personal fall arrest systems (PFAS) and working at height (WAH).
- Working knowledge of networked lighting systems (ACN/ETC Net3 or ARTNET).
- Minimum qualifications include:
- Associates degree in a theatre-production related field, plus 5 years lighting experience in a high-level production environment.
- Experience with managing crews and lighting equipment for a wide range of production types is essential.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with lighting controls and wiring, dimmers, rigging, automated fixtures, and industry safety practices are required.
EMPAC is a non-union operation in order to meet its highly interdisciplinary mission to bridge technology and the arts on all levels of production and research. Full benefits package and competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.