JOB OPENING: (Sr.) Event Technician, Video
EMPAC, The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, invites applications for the position of Event Technician/Sr. Event Technician, Video. The full-time twelve-month position is to be filled immediately.
EMPAC is situated at the intersection of digital technology and human perception. It enables audiences, artists, and researchers to inquire, experiment, develop, and experience the ever-changing relationship between our senses, technology, and the worlds we create around us. EMPAC’s program provides a breadth of experiences from theatrical productions, concerts, audio and video installations to a rigorous interdisciplinary program of films, talks, and workshops.
Both a performing arts center and a research and production facility, EMPAC provides an environment that supports the realization of complex artworks and research projects at any stage of development. Activities in EMPAC range from artist-in-residence projects to high-level university events and a wide range of campus presentations.
- JOB SUMMARY:
The Event Technician, Video will specialize in the video field, but also be responsible as a generalist for any audio, video, and stage set-up, load in and strike for four venues in avant-garde artistic productions and traditional performances in production spaces. The incumbent will assist and support performance technologies and media applications.
The Sr. Event Technician will be responsible for recording, editing, and mastering events, performances, installations and productions into final documentation form. Maintain, repair, or research and recommend equipment to support technical parameters necessary for specific projects.
- Event Technician Minimum qualifications include:
- HS Diploma or GED.
- Two (2) or more years of general video experience required.
- Good problem solving skills involving multiple variables in standard situations
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability and knowledge of field specific operational functions
- Strong attention to detail
- Senior Event Technician Minimum qualifications include:
- Associate’s Degree in a media system (audio, video, production) or related field.
- Two (2) years’ experience in an audio/video production environment executing event set up, operation, and strike.
- Additional two years of demonstrated experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
- Developed skills in logistics and communication in order to support video productions and work in teams of varying size
- Broad knowledge of digital audio technology
- Ability to work in a team environment or independently as needed per project
- OTHER POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires irregular hours, weekends and holidays. Must be available for scheduled on-call duty.
- Works in a stressful environment with multiple demands. Exposed to dust, machine noise, electrical and mechanical hazards, and various weather conditions. Physical effort consists of lifting, pulling or pushing weights up to 70 pounds, some work is performed in difficult positions, coordination and manual dexterity required along with visual, aural and mental attention.
EMPAC is a non-union operation in order to meet its highly interdisciplinary mission to bridge technology and the arts on all levels of production and research. Full benefits package and competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.